Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Four


I've fallen behind already. Last night I slipped on commenting. It's already half way through the day on Saturday and I have yet to write my post. Eeks! Because of it, I must short change one of my favorite YA characters....Sorry Four.


F is for Four.

I love for my YA books to have a romantic element. No matter how exciting or original or clever a premise is, it's typically the love interest that keeps me turning pages. There is something beautiful about YA characters figuring out who they are, who they want to be, and who they want to be with that I'm drawn to. Out of all the YA love interests I've read about in the last several years, my absolute favorite of them is Four from Divergent. Here's the thing - I have no idea why. He's perfectly well-rounded: mentally tough, physically tough, vulnerable, smart, mysterious, has plenty of deep-rooted issues, has a handful of weakness, understands more than he lets on, fits EC's "takes care of Tris without treating her like she needs to be taken care of." He actually is very similar to most YA love interests....only he's more awesome and I love him reading about him. (Clearly I don't love him because he's 19 and I'm a 34 happily married mother of two and middle school teacher and that would make me a literary cougar and oh - look at that, my three year old is throwing a tantrum and I must run.....) Four, like the Divergent series, is one of my favorites - we'll just leave it at that. 

I hope to catch up on comments tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. Do NOT go to my F today. If all you have time to read is one blog post, go to E from Friday. Today's is ok -- but yesterday's was great (I think).

    I love all the strike-throughs in your posts. Very funny!!

    Dana
    Waiter, drink please!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I've not read that series.
    I'm keeping up, although I still need to visit some new commenters. Worked on my section of the list today so I can relax a little tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Divergent, although I'm picky on dystopian YA. I'm looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we just like characters for no clearly apparent reason. They just appeal to us for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Four, I'm currently reading Insurgent and can't believe I left it so long! It's nice getting back into the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got Divergent on my bookshelf, looking forward to reading it even more now. :)

    Hope you can refresh for the madness to start again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He IS a great character! I just read Divergent last month - great book! Can't wait for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved divergent. I actually listened to it in the car on an 11 hour car ride. Now that's my favorite way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While not at all familiar with YA (yes, I know it stands for Young Adult) literature, it was delightful to read your post nonetheless. A handsome bit of writing and witty to boot. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though am not much into YA, I loved your post, and yes it does make me want to read Divergent! fun post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like Tobias (Four). I enjoyed reading both Divergent and Insurgent (I have actually pre-ordered the third book at Amazon). :)

    ReplyDelete