Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for Neville




N is for Neville

I love Neville Longbottom in Harry Potter. 

I love that J.K. Rowling sets up her entire series with the possibility that the prophecy foretelling the "one with the power to vanquish" Voldemort could be Harry or Neville. By doing this, she creates yet another unexpected hero among her characters.

He's shy, clumsy, and introverted. It takes him a while to become a dynamic character. But in the final scenes of this series, he displays such impulsive bravery that I couldn't help but cheer out loud at his heroics while reading the book.

Know what else I love that begins with "N"? Nighttime. Know what nighttime is good for? Sleep. A logical argument that my 8month old refused to buy into last night. 

Must challenge my inner-Neville Longbottom to brave the day today.....

14 comments:

  1. Aw, poor Neville I'm glad he got to finally come into his own. I also love the fact it could have been him instead of Harry how different the story would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love Neville, I loved seeing his character develop throughout the books. It's amazing how far he went in his own journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I. LOVE. NEVILLE. Seriously love that kid... what a great character... I cry every time I read Order of the Phoenix... when they all meet at St. Mungos... He's so sweet and tender and insecure and OMG. Seriously love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neville is such a great character because he really grew into his own by the end of the series. I'm glad JK gave him the courage and ability to slice and dice Nagini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He dug deep and found the strength when it was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neville is a good example to all of us, that we can do it. Visiting from A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. She hinted at it even early on when she had Neville stand up to Harry & Co. Right before Hermione zapped him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - dropping by from A-Z Challenge. Just goes to show how important character development is. There's a lesson to be learned by our JK! Hope you get some sleep by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Neville too...a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neville's story arc was probably the one that was most developed over the course of the series.

    I just love him, and the scene in Philosopher's Stone when he wins the House Cup for Gryffindor reduces me to tears every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that it could have been Neville, too! I just loved him in the last book. =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neville was always one of my favorite characters in that series. Rowling did a great job with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neville is one of my faves from that series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great A to Z theme!
    I agree with you about Neville - it's so wonderful to see him come into his own, every time I read the series.

    ReplyDelete