Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Secondary Characters Blog Hop

I'm popping in for a quick blog hop hosted by the fabulous Rachel Schieffelbein, Suzie Retlaff,  Theresa Paolo, Kelley LynnJessica Saylor, Jenny Morris, and Cassie Mae. 



I love good secondary characters. They can make or break a book for me, and I could easily list 20 or so good secondary characters that I enjoy reading. Instead, I'm going to name my most recent favorite: Captain Carswell Thorne from the book Scarlet. He's a cadet, but prefers to be called captain. He's arrogant, flirtatious, and, at times, crude. In the beginning of the book, he's so full of himself that he's slightly annoying and by the end of the book, I laughed out loud every time he spoke. His ingenious characterization was well crafted by author Marissa Meyer. I look forward to reading more about him in her next books.

See you all in a few more weeks!

17 comments:

  1. I forgot about Captain Thorne - he is totally obnoxious and thoroughly enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the next part of his journey in the next book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the sequel to Cinder, right? They are both on my TBR list. He sounds like a great character! Maybe I need to move these up the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Scarlet yet but thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a well-crafted character and a lot of times secondary characters can have the fun or annoying or funny traits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read that book. Good luck with the move.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the secondary characters that give us those breaks of humorous interaction. I have not read the book, maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to read this book, I've heard so many good things about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read it yet either, but he sounds like a great character!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a memorable character that's easy to hate and love. :)

    P.S. - I've nominated you for some blog awards, and hope you will check it out and post acceptances. It's located at:

    http://nancylarondajohnson.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-proudly-accept-these-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a strong secondary character. He sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Scarlet, but sometimes you just love those arrogant characters. Sometimes you want to kick their ass, but sometimes they just totally make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a teacher, I work at getting students to focus on secondary characters...because they don't always relate to the MCs. In fact, my son just read Romeo and Juliet for freshman English. He had to keep a character diary throughout the class's aloud reading and chose Benvolio because Romeo was too much of a wimp to him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will read that book one day...I promise. Are there any space ships in it? Lasers? Monsters?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, that picture in your post kind of grossed me out. It reminds of how Mary Jane tried to eat Spider-Man's face in the original movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Kimberly. I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog during last Monday's blitz. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, and I hope you find animated poetry to be useful in your classroom.

    Have a wonderful week! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that the sequel to Cinder? My daughter LOVED Cinder!

    ReplyDelete